Senior Companion Services
The Senior Companion Program is a part of a coordinated effort to assist older adults so they are able to remain independent in their own homes for as long as possible.
Senior Companions are trained volunteers who will visit you in your home for 3 to 4 hours per week to offer support and friendship.
Senior Companions offer friendly visits
Senior companions do what friends and neighbors might do:
- Enjoy conversation
- Assist with errands, grocery shopping or transportation to appointments
- Share interests or hobbies
- Assist with correspondence or simple household tasks
- Go out to lunch or enjoy a walk
Available to qualified seniors
Senior Companion assistance is available to seniors who would be able to continue living independently at home with the help of a weekly friendly visitor. Senior Companion services may be covered by:
- Elderly waiver (EW) or Alternative Care (AC) funding for seniors 65 years of age or older and eligible for in-home services.
- UCare Minnesota for Seniors members (a Medicare Advantage plan offered through UCare).
- Other public health and community partners.
- If you do not qualify for this service, you may be
interested in ‘Neighbor
to Neighbor Companions’ – a similar LSS service that is available for purchase.
To request Senior Companion services
A Senior Companion coordinator can discuss your needs with you and help determine if a Senior Companion can be of assistance. A request for Senior Companion services may be placed by the individual wanting services, a family member or a case worker. A staff member will then connect you with the appropriate person to begin the process.
Senior Companion coordinator listing >
The Senior Companion Program is a volunteer program administered by Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota with funding provided by the Corporation for National & Community Service and the Minnesota Board on Aging. Senior Companion volunteers are trained and provided by Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota, a trusted and respected provider of senior care services in Minnesota. LSS frequently partners with local organizations to better serve area residents.